Pikes Peak Regional Building Department

pprdc building

Please wait...

The Homeowner Process

Find a Licensed Contractor

As a homeowner you would like to finish your basement, add or replace a deck, add an extension, replace the old inefficient water heater, install air conditioning, etc. The process might seem complicated or confusing but we are here to make it as easy as possible for you.
Our Start a Project is a great place to begin.

Homeowner Permits

Why are Permits and Inspections required?

The Pikes Peak Regional Building Department is responsible for the issuing and management of building permits for all areas under our jurisdiction. These areas include unincorporated El Paso County; the cities of Colorado Springs, Fountain and Manitou Springs; the towns of Green Mountain Falls, Monument and Palmer Lake; and in Teller County, the City of Woodland Park.

Many permit requests and issuing can be accomplished online by visting our Project page and following the simple instructions provided.

Your home or business is an investment. If your construction project does not comply with the codes adopted by the community, the value of your investment could be reduced or can create a hazard for yourself or your family. Also, property insurers may not cover the work done without permits and\or inspections.

What Projects Require a Permit?

Construction, installation and replacement of, but not limited to, the following:

  • Air conditioning system
  • Basement finish
  • Boiler
  • Decks (to include composite materials)
  • Detached accessory structure over 200 square feet (garage, gazebo, greenhouse, etc.)
  • Electrical work
  • Patio or deck enclosure and\or cover
  • Pool
  • Porch
  • Retaining walls greater than 4’ in height
  • Exterior siding and stucco
  • Fireplace or stove (gas or solid fuel)
  • Furnace
  • Garage conversion
  • Hot tub
  • Lawn sprinkler back-flow device
  • New home
  • Roofing
  • Room addition
  • Sun room
  • Water heater
  • Work with in a floodplain

If you are in doubt or have any questions please Contact Us prior to starting any project to verify the need for a permit. Discussing your plans with a code official before you begin your project can save time and money as you move forward.

What Projects Do Not Require A Permit?

As a general rule, cosmetic improvements do not require a permit. Examples can include a house interior and exterior painting, replacing kitchen cabinets and most appliances, installation of carpeting or other floor materials, concrete flat work, fences less than 7 feet in height, detached accessory structures less than 200 square feet and minor plumbing and heating repairs. Depending on where you live some of these items may still require a review and\or permit from the zoning and floodplain authorities.

If you are in doubt or have any questions please Contact Us prior to starting any project to verify the need for a permit.

Can The Homeowner Obtain The Permit?

Yes. As a homeowner you may obtain a permit only if you are performing the work on your primary residence, which you own and reside in. You cannot perform work on a rental property you own nor a home you do not reside in. If you obtain a permit and are completing the work yourself you are expected to know the pertinent codes and are responsible for the work passing all required inspections. It is illegal for a homeowner to obtain a permit for a contractor hired to do the work for you.

If you are looking for a licensed contractor you can Search our Directory.

What Is My Responsibility As A Homeowner When I Hire A Contractor, What Do I Need To Consider?

As a homeowner who hires a contractor for work that requires a permit, the contractor must be licensed and registered with the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department. To find out if the contractor you are looking to hire is indeed licensed and registered with the PPRBD you can Search our Directory to verify. A contractor cannot obtain a permit unless their license is in good standing.

What If A Permit Is Not Obtained?

If the work requires a permit and is reported to the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department, or observed by an inspector in the area, a STOP WORK ORDER will be issued and will remain in effect until the proper permit is obtained.

If a permit is not obtained for the work, a Certificate of Non-compliance will be issued against the property and filed with the El Paso or Teller County Clerk and Recorder placing a lien against the property. Work completed without a permit is often caught before the resale of a house by a home inspector. This can impede or cancel the sale, and the current owner will be financially responsible for paying any additional fees required to obtain the proper permits and complete the required inspections to verify code compliance. If the work is determine to not be in compliance it is the responsibility of the homeowner to address the identified issues.

Can A Homeowner Track The Inspection Progress On A Project?

Inspection results are available on the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department websites Permit Status Page. Inspection results can be searched either by permit number or address. Inspection results are typically entered the same day the inspection is performed.


Ask us anything! We have compiled the most common questions we receive and provided the answers.

processing image