Work Exempt From Permits
View Official Building Code
Per section 105.2 of the Pikes Peak Regional Building Code
- One-story, detached, unheated, accessory structures as defined by the International Residential Code, provided that the floor area does not exceed two hundred (200) square feet.
- One-story, detached, unheated buildings used for weather protection, storage or similar commercial uses provided that the floor area does not exceed one hundredtwenty (120) square feet.
- Fences not more than seven (7) feet in height.
- Oil derricks, flagpoles and private antennas.
- Retaining walls not more than four (4) feet in height measured from the lower grade to the upper grade, unless supporting a surcharge from a structure or a grade slope greater than two (2) units horizontal to one (1) vertical or impounding Class I, II, or III-A liquids.
- Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed five thousand (5,000) gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed two (2) to one (1).
- Water tanks of any size and any accessory equipment under the direct control of a utility purveyor located completely below grade.
- Private sidewalks, driveways, and platforms supported directly upon grade. Any steps created must comply with the applicable provisions of the Building Code.
- Detached decks in conjunction with one- and two-family dwellings not exceeding 200 square feet in area that are not more than thirty (30) inches above grade at any point within thirty six (36) inches of the deck perimeter and do not serve the required egress door.
- Replacement of any windows or fixed glazing unless the rough opening dimensions are modified. Replacement of any window required as an emergency escape and rescue opening and safety glazing required due to a hazardous location must comply with the applicable provisions of the Building Code.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Swimming pools accessory to one- and twofamily dwellings and not regulated by this Code.
- Repairs to roofing and / or siding when the repair constitutes less than one hundred (100) square feet.
- Swings and other playground equipment.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than fifty-four (54) inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of one- and twofamily dwellings and accessory structures.
- Movable cases, counters, and partitions not over five (5) feet nine (9) inches in height.
- Hydraulic flood-control structures.
- Pedestrian and vehicular bridges not directly serving or constructed as part of a building.
- The removal and reinstallation of plumbing fixtures provided the work does not involve the replacement or rearrangement of drain, waste, vent or water pipes.
- Portable heating, ventilating or cooling units.
- Evaporative coolers in connection with oneand two-family dwellings, where no structural elements or components are modified.
- Agricultural buildings and agricultural structures located in the County, as defined by the El Paso County Land Development Code.
- Non-public, non-residential buildings located in the A-35 District in the County, as defined by the El Paso County Land Development Code.
Still not sure if your project requires a permit? Click Here to contact us.